Our Garden!!!

Posted by Alyssa

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, we just moved into a temporary rental house. Well, since Yuma is absolutely gorgeous this time of year, I decided to start my own garden at the end of Feb. But I found out its a little too late to start from seed or even starter plants. so we bought a litle bigger plants for like $2 at Target. It's only a couple weeks and they're getting huge! I couldn't find any big enough spots of dirt in the backyard that wasn't full of roots, so they're all in containers. I love gardening and the boys love having all these plants-the first couple days they were constantly giving me leaves picked off, thinking they were helping me. Connor and I even planted seeds from our apple and cucumber we ate a couple days ago-we'll see if it actually sprouts! I'm not a green thumb AT ALL, so we'll see if these actually survive. I had a gorgeous garden I built from seed last summer, but after weeks and weeks of giving it lots of love, within a couple days it all went black and died (right before harvest time!). I found out from a friend what I did wrong. I fed my poor plants Miracle Grow every day. I thought it was ok because the plants got HUGE! But turns out I was only killing them! So, now its only once ever 2 weeks for Miracle Grow! :-) Anyways, here's what we've got growning:

Zuchinni

cherry tomatoes

Bell peppers

Rosemary (I LOVE baked rosemary potatoes!)

2 strawberry plants-and they're covered in blooms and here's our biggest strawberry so far!

Mint-we LOVE Mojito drinks-Virgin of course! :-)

Sweet peas-can you see the first Pea? It seriously grew in like a day!
I forgot to take a picture of the cilantro plant, I love love love cilantro. Love the smell and love the taste! However, its not getting any bigger-the leaves are all just dying. Anyone know how to grow cilantro here?

4 comments:

Brianna Tuckett said...

That's awesome!!! It's still too early and cold to get our garden in ground, but your plants look AWESOME!!! I don't have a green thumb either, but my mother and sister-in-law are growing geniuses. I'll ask around about your cilantro and see what I can come up with :) We definitely need to get together and be crafty the next time I come down or if you ever come up :) Good luck with your garden. Oh have you ever heard of square foot gardening? They are an easy way to have a garden without much room. :)

Lisa Love said...

Once again, you are inspiring me. Good luck and hope your garden runneth over!

Leah said...

Good job! We're in the process of planting one, too. We'll see how it goes!

Jennifer said...

Cilantro is a tough one to grow. I have had a hard time with it in the heat. I grew some here in Colorado for the first time last year and couldn't keep up with it because it grew like crazy. However, in Texas it died every time I planted it. Try a shady spot and see if it survives the heat without direct sunlight. Or take the plant indoors next to a window sill and see if it does better indoors.